The Making of ‘D Web Development’

Posted on

A long-time contributor to the D community, Kai Nacke is the author of ‘D Web Development‘ and the maintainer of LDC, the LLVM D Compiler. In this post, he tells the story of how his book came together. Currently, the eBook version is on sale for USD $10.00 as part of the publisher’s Back to School sale, as are ‘D Cookbook‘ by Adam Ruppe and ‘Learning D‘ by Michael Parker.


At the beginning of 2014, I was asked by Packt Publishing if I wanted to review the D Cookbook by Adam Ruppe. Of course I wanted to!

The review was stressful, but it was a lot of fun. At the end of the year came a surprising question for me: would I be willing to switch sides and write a book myself? Here, I hesitated. Sure, writing your own book is a dream, but is this at all possible on top of a regular job? The proposed topic, D Web Development, was interesting. Web technologies I knew, of course, but the vibe.d framework was for me only a large unit test for each LDC release.

My interest was awakened and I created a chapter overview, based solely on my experience as a developer and the online documentation of vibe.d. The result came out well and I was offered a contract. It came with an immediate challenge: I should set up a small project plan. How do you plan to write a book?!?

Without any experience in this area, I stuck to the following rules. For each chapter, I planned a little time frame. Each should include at least one weekend, for the larger chapters perhaps even two. I reserved some time for the Easter holiday, too. The first version of the book would therefore be ready at the beginning of July, when I started writing in mid-February.

Even the first chapter showed that this plan was much too optimistic. The writing went off quickly – as soon as I had something I could write about. But experimenting and testing took a lot of time. For one thing, I didn’t have much experience with vibe.d. There were sample programs that I wanted to develop Saturday to write about on Sunday. However, I was still searching for errors on Monday, without having written a single line!

On the other hand, there were still a few rough edges in vibe.d at the time, but I did not want to write that these would be changed or implemented in later versions of the library. So I developed a few patches for vibe.d, e.g. digest authentication. By the way, there were also new LDC releases to create. Fortunately, the LDC team had expanded, so I just took care of the release itself (thanks so much, folks!). The result was, of course, that I missed many of my milestones.

In May, the first chapters came back from the review process. Other content also had to be written, such as the text for the back of the book. In mid-December, the last chapter was finished and almost all review notes on the other chapters were incorporated. After a little Christmas break, the remaining notes were quickly incorporated and the pre-final version of each chapter was created in January. And then, on February 1, 2016, the news came that my book was now published. I’d done it! Almost exactly one year after I had started with the first chapter.

Was the work worth it? In any case, it was a very special experience. Would I do it again? Yes! Right now, I am playing with the idea of updating the book and expanding a chapter. Let’s see what happens…

Making Of: LDC 1.0

Posted on

This is a guest post from Kai Nacke. A long-time contributor to the D community, Kai is the author of D Web Development and the maintainer of LDC, the LLVM D Compiler.


LDC has been under development for more than 10 years. From release to release, the software has gotten better and better, but the version number has always implied that LDC was still the new kid on block. Who would use a version 0.xx compiler for production code?

These were my thoughts when I raised the question, “Version number: Are we ready for 1.0?” in the forum about a year ago. At that time, the current LDC compiler was 0.15.1. In several discussions, the idea was born that the first version of LDC based on the frontend written in D should be version 1.0, because this would really be a major milestone. Version 0.18.0 should become 1.0!

Was LDC really as mature as I thought? Looking back, this was an optimistic view. At DConf 2015, Liran Zvibel from Weka.IO mentioned in his talk about large scale primary storage systems that he couldn’t use LDC because of bugs! Additionally, the beta version of 0.15.2 had some serious issues and was finally abandoned in favor of 0.16.0. And did I mention that I was busy writing a book about vibe.d?

Fortunately, over the past two years, more and more people began contributing to LDC. The number of active committers grew. Suddenly, the progress of LDC was very impressive: Johan added DMD-style code coverage and worked on merging the new frontend. Dan worked on an iOS version and Joakim on an Android version. Together, they made ARM a first class target of LDC. Martin and Rainer worked on the Windows version. David went ahead and fixed a lot of the errors which had occurred with the Weka code base. I spent some time working on the ports to PowerPC and AArch64. Uncounted small fixes from other contributors improved the overall quality.

Now it was obvious that a 1.x version was overdue. Shortly after DMD made the transition to the D-based frontend, LDC was able to use it. After the usual alpha and beta versions, I built the final release version on Sunday, June 5, and officially announced it the next day. Version 1.0 is shipping now!

Creating a release is always a major effort. I would like to say “Thank you!” to everybody who made this special release happen. And a big thanks to our users; your feedback is always a motivation to make the next LDC release even better.

Onward to 1.1!